Writing a business plan

In 2007, I wrote my first business plan and it changed my business. I was about to leave real estate and go back to full-time teaching because my business had literally dried up and I was at the panicking point. Kind of as an afterthought, I wrote a business plan and then worked the plan and 2007 was a very profitable year and along with that, I had a life. I tweaked my plan for 2008 and had even a better year, and now I have rewritten my 2009 plan and am already working it and am seeing results now.

Business plans are not hard to write, but I think that people don't know how to write one so they don't do it. Over the next few days I am going to explain the components of the plan and show you examples of my plan that will, hopefully, help you to write a plan of your own.

The main components of a plan are:
1. Mission/Vision statement
2. Goals
3. Marketing Plan and Calendar
4. Budget

Today let's just concentrate on the mission statement and if you follow what I have below it will help you to write your own. GET STARTED TODAY - it is the core of your business and who you are!

What is a mission statement?
A mission statement is a written, easy-to-remember sentence, short list of bullet points, or a paragraph illustrating your goals and purpose.


Sample Mission Statements

1. “To solve unsolved problems innovatively.”
3M
2. “To give unlimited opportunity to women.”
Mary Kay Cosmetics
3. “To preserve and improve human life.”
Merck
4. “To make people happy.”
Disney
5. “To help people achieve their goals.”
Becky Lund

Mission Statement Exercise

List 2 qualities that are unique to you or your business such as knowledgeable, creative, or organized.
­­­­­­­________________________ _____________________________

List one or two ways you enjoy expressing those qualities when interacting with others, such as to advise or to serve.
_________________________ _______________________________

Pretend it is a perfect world and you are accomplishing everything that you want right now. What outcome are you seeing, such as satisfied clients who give you referrals or happy buyers and sellers.

Now put combine the three previous sections into a single statement.

To use my knowledge in such a way that I can exceptionally serve my clients creating satisfied buyers and sellers that want to refer business to me.




First draft:







Now that you have something in writing, tweak it. You have a basis from which to work and now you can keep writing it until you can easily repeat it and you need to mean what you say. It needs to align with your goals and purpose.


Second draft:






Third draft:

Comments